Fairbanks Northern Lights Aurora Photography Tours
The most comprehensive Northern Lights Photography Tours in Alaska!
Aurora Portraits are always included in the tour price!!!
With The Aurora Chasers®, you'll have an unforgettable Northern Lights photography experience complete with professional Aurora Portraits* captured by world renowned Fairbanks Aurora Photographers and Tour Guides Ronn & Marketa Murray, the original Aurora Chasers of Alaska. You'll receive step by step instructions for capturing your very own amazing Northern Lights photographs from a husband and wife team whose understanding and appreciation for the Aurora is surpassed only by their ability to capture its beauty.
Together, they have a combined 24 years of Aurora photography experience and have been teaching the techniques and secrets of photographing Alaska's Northern Lights to visitors since 2011. They have extensive knowledge of multiple camera systems and have helped hundreds of guests capture stunning images with their own gear over the years. Many new startups have tried to duplicate their success, but none have the experience and expertise of The Aurora Chasers®
Furthermore, they understand what it takes to get you to the right place on those challenging weather nights. They have an amazing track record and if a view of the night sky can be found within driving distance of Fairbanks, they'll be the ones to get you there.
Book with the experts to ensure you get the best Northern Lights photography experience Alaska has to offer!
Please be sure to review the tour options below by clicking the image for each tour and take a few moments to review our Northern Lights Visitor Information and Photography Tour FAQs
As featured on CBS Sunday Morning
Beyond the Ordinary Tour
On your Northern Lights photography workshop tour, you’ll reap the benefits of our collective expertise as we teach you:
• What causes the Aurora
• What different colors and patterns to expect
• The science behind the Aurora and the tools we use including our Alaska Aurora Webcam page
• What makes Fairbanks such a great location for Aurora viewing
• Most importantly, you’ll learn the techniques to capturing stunning, professional quality Northern Lights photos with your own equipment or one of our professional rental sets using the same settings Ronn & Marketa use. There are others tours attempting to duplicate what we do but none have the experience and expertise you'll get with us.
All tours are a single evening events and include transportation to and from your accommodations within the city of Fairbanks. We'll travel to a remote location that provides optimal conditions for viewing the Aurora.
Relax and leave the winter driving to us.
Your comfort and personal attention is important, so we limit the number of guests to small groups, and utilize spacious, "tall roof" Mercedes van allowing room for you and your gear to travel comfortably.
Getting the opportunity to see the Aurora is extraordinary and unique. With us, you'll not only witness the magic, but you'll go home with photographic keepsakes you'll cherish for a lifetime and a new understanding of the amazing phenomenon that occurs to produce the Northern Lights.
*Aurora Portraits are stunning portraits of you and your group captured by your professional guides in front of the magical Northern Lights but they are dependent on Aurora and weather conditions. They are always included in every tour at no additional cost. Not only do we offer these amazing portraits but we have a foundation based in professional portraiture and studio lighting. When you get your portrait taken by The Aurora Chasers, you'll be getting the best Alaska has to offer.
We always strive to deliver the most incredible experience possible but why not see what others have experienced? Read our reviews on Trip Advisor.
Have additional questions? Please view the tour options above by clicking the image for each tour and take a few moments to review our Northern Lights Visitor Information and Photography Tour FAQs
Capture your own beautiful Images
Northern Lights Photography Tours
All Photography Workshop Tours are led by Ronn & Marketa themselves and include transportation to and from your Fairbanks accommodations, photography instruction and Aurora Portraits* and are single night trips. Learn to photograph the Northern Lights with true Professional Aurora Photographers. We'll demystify the secrets to predicting, finding and photographing the Aurora Borealis so that you go home with professional quality images of the Northern Lights*.
Bring your camera, a bit of patience and maybe an energy drink and we'll spend a night out under Alaska's magical night sky. We'll take you to one of our favorite locations to photograph "The Lights" and show you how to set up your gear to make stunning images of your own. We'll also make sure you go home with a few Aurora Portraits captured by us from your experience*.
What you'll need to bring...
• A full featured camera with the ability to shoot long exposures at high ISO. Must allow Manual settings. Most interchangeable lens cameras are capable of capturing the Northern Lights in good quality. Most point and shoots and cell phone cameras just aren't there yet. If you aren't sure you have the right gear or would prefer to rent specialty gear such as "wide, fast" lenses, we now also have a limited selection of rental equipment available.
• A good wide angle lens with a large maximum aperture. f/2.8 or larger is preferable.
• A solid tripod with a ballhead. Don't skimp here. This is critical! We also highly recommend one with lever locks for the legs rather than twist locks as the twist locks don't do well in the snow and cold. (We have a limited number of these for rent) If purchasing your own we suggest this one for smaller cameras and this one for bigger cameras.
• Your camera's manual
• Extra Batteries
• A headlamp or flashlight with a red LED light such as this one.
• A Ziploc bag large enough for your camera and lens
The Hefty Slider 2.5 Gallon Jumbo Storage Bags work great!
•Warm clothing sufficient for 40º below zero (See our Aurora Visitor Information for details)
• Desiccant such as this reusable one which helps to absorb moisture and keep it out of your camera gear. You can also be thrifty and start collecting the little packets that come with your shoes, electronics, etc and recycle them for use in your camera bag.
• If using a Nikon D3xxx or D5xxx model it's a great idea to bring a two-stage shutter release cable. This is optional for all other cameras but if you plan to use a shutter release, be sure it is the two-stage shutter button type. We have a limited number of wireless remote shutters available for Canon and Nikon cameras in our rentals. You can also purchase your own here, just be sure to select the proper one for your camera.
*Aurora and weather conditions permitting.
Tour Cancellation Policy
Due to the natural elements involved and the small personal nature of our company, we have a no cancellation policy except in the case of extremely severe weather which prohibits safe travel. If such an event occurs and we are not able to take you on your tour, you will get a full refund or the choice of another tour if available. We do not cancel for cloudy skies or lack of Aurora. Both of these conditions may change and we’ve found it far easier to deliver an informative and educational experience which will prepare you for future aurora photography, on a cloudy night than to explain to you that you missed your once in a lifetime opportunity to see Aurora when the clouds cleared at 1am because we canceled at 9pm. Furthermore, while solid overcast does inhibit the ability to see the Northern Lights, anything less than solid clouds still allows the Aurora to be viewed. Therefore to give you the best opportunity possible we still go out and have a good time and do our best to find clear skies. There are no refunds or exchanges for lack of Aurora sightings as this is nature and beyond our control. However, if you do not see Aurora with us, you may go standby any night we have open seats after 8pm for up to 30 days after your initial tour. We suggest traveler’s insurance for any other issues that may arise such as illness , weather delays and other circumstances that prohibit travel on your part. Travelex has some great coverage options available.