Northern Lights Aurora Photography Tours
The most comprehensive Northern Lights Photography Tours in Alaska!
As featured on CBS Sunday Morning
With The Aurora Chasers™, you'll have an unforgettable Northern Lights photography tour complete with professional Aurora Portraits* captured by world renowned Aurora Photographers Ronn & Marketa Murray, the original Aurora Chasers of Alaska. You'll receive step by step instructions for capturing your very own amazing Northern Lights photographs from a husband and wife team whose understanding and appreciation for the Aurora is surpassed only by their ability to capture its beauty.
Together, they have a combined 18 years of Aurora photography experience and have been teaching the techniques and secrets of photographing Alaska's Northern Lights to visitors since 2011. They have extensive knowledge of multiple camera systems and have helped hundreds of guests capture stunning images with their own gear over the years.
Book with the experts to ensure you get the best Northern Lights photography experience Alaska has to offer!
Please be sure to review the tour options below by clicking the image for each tour and take a few moments to review our Northern Lights Visitor Information and Photography Tour FAQs
Click the images for details.
Beyond the Ordinary Tour
On your Northern Lights photography workshop tour, you’ll reap the benefits of our collective expertise as we teach you:
• What causes the Aurora
• What different colors and patterns to expect
• How to forecast like a pro using the tools we use including our Alaska Aurora Webcam page
• What makes Fairbanks such a great location for Aurora viewing
• Most importantly, you’ll learn the techniques to capturing stunning, professional quality Northern Lights photos with your own equipment or one of our professional rental sets using the same settings Ronn & Marketa use.
All tours are a single evening events and include transportation to and from your accommodations within the city of Fairbanks. We'll travel to a remote location that provides optimal conditions for viewing the Aurora.
Relax and leave the winter driving to us.
Your comfort and personal attention is important, so we limit the number of guests to small groups, and utilize spacious, "tall roof" Mercedes vans allowing room for you and your gear to travel comfortably.
Getting the opportunity to see the Aurora is extraordinary and unique. With us, you'll not only witness the magic, but you'll go home with photographic keepsakes you'll cherish for a lifetime and a new understanding of the amazing phenomenon that occurs to produce the Northern Lights.
*Aurora Portraits are stunning portraits of you and your group captured by your professional guides in front of the magical Northern Lights but they are dependent on Aurora and weather conditions.
We always strive to deliver the most incredible experience possible but why not see what others have experienced? Read our reviews on Trip Advisor.
Have additional questions? Please view the tour options above by clicking the image for each tour and take a few moments to review our Northern Lights Visitor Information and Photography Tour FAQs
Capture your own beautiful Images
Northern Lights Photography Tours
All Photography Workshop Tours are led by Ronn & Marketa themselves and include transportation to and from your Fairbanks accommodations, photography instruction and Aurora Portraits* and are single night trips. Learn to photograph the Northern Lights with true Professional Aurora Photographers. We'll demystify the secrets to predicting, finding and photographing the Aurora Borealis so that you go home with professional quality images of the Northern Lights*.
Bring your camera, a bit of patience and maybe an energy drink and we'll spend a night out under Alaska's magical night sky. We'll take you to one of our favorite locations to photograph "The Lights" and show you how to set up your gear to make stunning images of your own. We'll also make sure you go home with a few Aurora Portraits captured by us from your experience*.
What you'll need to bring...
• A full featured camera with the ability to shoot long exposures at high ISO. Must allow Manual settings. Most interchangeable lens cameras are capable of capturing the Northern Lights in good quality. Most point and shoots and cell phone cameras just aren't there yet. If you aren't sure you have the right gear or would prefer to rent specialty gear such as "wide, fast" lenses, we now also have a limited selection of rental equipment available.
• A good wide angle lens with a large maximum aperture. f/2.8 or larger is preferable.
• A solid tripod with a ballhead. Don't skimp here. This is critical! (We have a limited number of these for rent)
• Your camera's manual
• Extra Batteries
• A headlamp or flashlight with a red LED light
• A Ziploc bag large enough for your camera and lens
•Warm clothing sufficient for 40º below zero
• Desiccant such as this which helps to absorb moisture and keep it out of your camera gear
• If using a Nikon D3xxx or D5xxx model it's a great idea to bring a two-stage shutter release cable. This is optional for all other cameras but if you plan to use a shutter release, be sure it is the two-stage shutter button type. ***UPDATE: We now have wireless shutter releases available for Canon and Nikon Camera in our rentals.
*Aurora and weather conditions permitting.